Storm Water


The Storm Water Division of the Public Works Department maintains the City's storm drain system, drainage ditches, reservoirs, pump stations and other facilities, to provide control and disposal of storm water run-off. The system is maintained and operated through a storm run-off plan and program that is in compliance with State and Federal regulations.

Protecting our water supply is everyone's job. Please DO NOT put contaminants, oils, paints, fluids, etc., into the storm drains.

Street Flooding

All storm water related issues and concerns about drainage problems should first be reported to the Public Works Department at (559) 665-8615, ext. 789 during business hours. After regular business hours, contact the Chowchilla Police Department at (559) 665-8600.

Sand Bags and Sand

If your home or business is possibly subject to flooding during heavy winter rain you can obtain sand for sand bags at the City Public Works Corporation Yard (on the north side outside of the fence) at N. First Street between Sonoma Avenue and Monterey Avenue. YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN SHOVELS AND BAGS AND FILL YOUR OWN BAGS.

Empty sand bags can be purchased at local hardware stores and big-box warehouse stores. For those who can’t afford to buy sand bags the City of Chowchilla has a limited supply of empty sand bags available that you can pick up at two locations. Because of the demand only a small number of sand bags can be given out. If you have another source for sand bags, or can buy them, please get those and leave the City supply for people who are less able to get sand bags elsewhere.

Sand bags can be picked up at Chowchilla City Hall, 130 S Second Street (Monday to Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM), and the Chowchilla Police Department, 122 Trinity Avenue (Monday to Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, and Saturday 8:00 AM to NOON).