Streets & Lights


The Streets Division of the Public Works Department maintains the City's infrastructure including, but not limited to, over 53 miles of paved City streets, 13 miles of alleyways, approximately 32 miles of sidewalks, and over 420 City street signs.

City Pavement Management Program

The Pavement Management Program is a system for collecting, analyzing, maintaining, and reporting pavement data to assist the City Council in finding the most cost-effective strategies for maintaining pavements in a serviceable manner over a given time period. The objective is to provide useful data to help make consistent, const-effective, and defensible decisions regarding pavement preservation.

Click HERE to view the presentation of the Chowchilla Pavement Management Program to the City Council.

Stop Signs, Speed Humps and Crosswalks

The City follows policies and guidelines when it comes to installing stop signs, or considering requests for speed humps to control speeding vehicles, or the designation and marking of street crosswalks. To learn more click on the following documents.

Traffic Undulation (Street Hump) Policy
Stop Sign, Speed Hump and Crosswalk Frequently Asked Questions

SR 99/SR 233 Interchange Improvement Project (The Roundabout)

Chowchilla officials continue to work with the Madera County Transportation Commission and Caltrans on the proposed roundabout and other alternatives for the interchange commonly referred to as Robertson Boulevard and Highway 99. 

Click HERE to view the latest roundabout update presentation to the City Council.


To report a streetlight outage contact the Public Works Department by calling (559) 665-8615, ext. 789. Be prepared to provide the following information:

  1. Location of the streetlight
  2. The pole number
  3. And if the pole is wood or metal

Sidewalk Problems

Broken and cracked sidewalks are addressed on an as needed basis particularly where public safety is concerned. To report a sidewalk problem contact the Public Works Department at (559) 885-8615, ext. 789.

Sidewalk Repair Assistance Program

California law assigns the responsibility for maintaining the sidewalks, curbs and gutters to the contiguous property owners. Property owners are usually displeased to learn that maintenance of the city sidewalk is their financial obligation. To help lighten this burden, Staff is proposing a Sidewalk Repair Cost Assistance Program where the City could provide a short term loan to a property owner to make the repairs and potentially pay up to 50% of the costs if the damage was caused by a street tree.

To learn more about the program view the Sidewalk Repair Cost Assistance Program Guidelines (PDF).

Street Trees

The City is responsible for maintaining the safety of the city right-of-way with regards to trees and overhanging branches. To report a tree damage emergency contact the Public Works Department at (559) 665-8615, extension 789. In an emergency situation you can also contact the Chowchilla Police Department at (559) 665-8600.

Roadway Potholes

The Public Works Department should be contacted to report any potholes in the roadway. Repairs will be handled on as needed basis particularly where public safety is concerned. To report a pothole contact the Public Works Department at (559) 665-8615, ext. 789.